Lead

Nov 6 14 11:22 AM

Tags : :

The barbaric nature of humankind has absolutely nothing to do with our mere physical will (eat, sleep, shelter) to survive.  It has to do with our chaotic mental unrest of how to emotionally and socially go about living in this world, and every single human encounters infinite obstacles in this pursuit.  The anger, the spiritual torture, is created by an emotional will to survive by the agreement of accepting at least civil if not loving companionship of other human beings.  Therein our barbaric nature is born, because other humans will always let you down, whether it is due to their own evil doings, carelessness, or your misinterpretation of their intentions.                 
         This thought was ignited by a quote from The Book of Laughter and Forgetting and a quote, “Jan said we were all at death’s door; the whole world, with its propensity for violence, cruelty, barbarism, was at death’s door” (p 215).               
          My friend, Ryan, voiced his opinion over the matter of cheating on his girlfriend of ten years on multiple occasions.  I have a Kantian view of this situation.  I believe he should tell her because she would probably break up with him if she knew of his unfaithfulness.  He stated that it’s not necessary because it isn’t something that can “hurt” her.  And at first I didn’t fathom what he was getting at.  And then I followed and I said, “Yeah, well the impact of the truth of your cheating to her won’t physically harm her.”  And he says, “Yeah, that’s what I mean.”  But then I thought, the only reason physical harm typically comes to anyone is because of the emotional harm that has impacted a person.  That’s the fundamental reason we have wars.  That’s why Michael Brown was shot in the street and now social havoc ensues in Ferguson.  People can’t get along.  People can suck, profusely and uncontrollably.               
         On the contrary.  The world has reins and is capable of happy agreements at the perfect timing to reassure that everything is okay, outside of your control.  Here’s an example.  Moments ago, I drove the quarter mile back from doing a load of laundry at the Laundromat around the corner from our apartment.  My radio station was set on 105.7 which plays predominantly alternative 90s to present rock.  The Beastie Boys’ song “Sabotage” had been playing as I drove down Dartmouth.  The sun is just gorgeous today, possessing the first effect of pre-fall luster accompanied by lukewarm air with a delicate breeze.  All the trees still juicy green, illuminated by said amazing sun.                 
         The song ended about a couple hundred feet before my destined parking spot, which would be the parallel curb in front of my apartment.  Once “Sabotage” ended, the next song ensues.  And I don’t think I believe my ears at first, since this station is grungy and melancholy rock.  What comes on is a song I haven’t heard in quite some time.  Maybe it seemed longer since I was thrown off guard that it was on this particular station.  But I was refreshingly delighted to hear the beginning of what was a familiar peaceful Bob Marley tune.  I reach my parking destination and experience the bitter sweetness of enjoying the beginning of a random wonderful song you weren’t expecting to pop on the radio just as you meet your destination.  I hadn’t registered the exact Bob Marley tune this was since its sudden presence was still happily surprising my tingly nostalgic feelers of its existence.  I look over to my right, still seated in my car with the engine and radio still on, and I looked directly eye level with the three cement stairs leading from the sidewalk up to our apartment house.  Our neighbors have three young boys and they had been using sidewalk chalk.  On the vertical plane of the top stair, they had written “Don’t Worry.”  My heart melted when my brain realized the beauty of this instant, and what was about to happen in the next three seconds were the beginning lyrics of Bob Marley’s song.  And he sang “Don’t worry…” just as if he were in the seat next to me and observing those precious words in sidewalk chalk written by the positive energy of a child, and saying, singing aloud their loving message to me at this exact time, “Don’t worry.”